Friday, December 18, 2009

Wildlife at IIMA...


hi folks,
It's been days since I have written something on Wildlife. Some events that have happened in my campus that I thought triggered my thoughts and here I am as usual putting those thoughts to words.
IIMA campus is a lush green campus and is in fact officially recognised as a Urban-forestry area in Ahmedabad. Home to about 25 species of birds including White Myna, Rock Pigeon, Common Indian Kite and most of all ' The White Rumped Vultures' which are on the verge of extinction, it spans about 55 acres. Evenings at the LKP lawns is usually a sight to watch especially with huge swathes of Swifts chirping and swiftly flying over the heritage structure. Their chirpings actually makes the place come out alive.
Oh!! I forgot to mention about the animal which is presently giving us a scare. The Langurs here measure about 7 to 10 feet from tail to head. And especially a huge adult Langur is enough to scare the hell out of you. All in all my campus is a Mini-forest with its own distinct ecosystem. You could see Kites chasing pigeons if you are observant and lucky!! Even the dogs chase you especially if you are savouring your Ice creams in front of them!! IIMA is specially looked after by The Gujarat state forestry department as its home to the highly endangered 'The White Rumped Vulture'. 'Prakriti', the nature club is also actively involved in spreading awareness about Bio-Conservation. Awareness and constant reminders are necessary even for intellectually briliiant minds like us because the hectic academic workload here gives us little time to explore the Campus. And I am pretty happy to be spending 20 months of my life here away from Pollution and honking Vehicles :)

regards,
taureansandy

No comments: