Wednesday, February 1, 2012

WIMWI's rendezvous with February!!

Hi folks,

    It was exactly an year ago that I remember saying to myself 'Now or Never'. My roller coaster ride at WIMWI was coming to a close and one could sense the seriousness in the air within the campus. Yes, it was the month of placements; something where you literally witness what 'Cut throat competition' actually is. Some of your peers start playing games, you would never have imagined of. And the one who comes out of this melee, unscathed becomes the true survivor of the ultimate 20 month battle that students every year face in WIMWI. 

Anyways, now that I have recently been to the campus as an 'Alumni', I recall those days with mixed emotions - Happy to have passed out successfully with honour and at the same time not happy with how certain things went about with some of my peers who were completely devastated after the end of the placement process. I could never rejoice my success for the fear of upsetting those pals who couldn't perform to their potential. And the reason I express all this is because I am sure some of my other friends would have also felt the same way as I am feeling right now. I make no bones about the fact that I somehow managed to face so much pressure on the D-Day all by myself. And so is also the case with many of my other batch-mates as well. It's very simple. If you can't manage the stress, you will fail. I don't claim to be someone who can guide you on how to approach the placements rationally. Refer to my good friend's (she happens to be my batch-mate as well) post here if you want a step-by-step practical guide to placements http://greencompass.wordpress.com/2012/01/28/a-wimwians-guide-to-practical-action-on-placements/ .

But I sure can share some tips on how to beat the stress and stay calm on the D-Day; something that I personally found out to be very effective. Disclaimer: This is certainly not a definitive list and the intention is to only share what I did with you.

  • Stay away from gossip mongers - It is not very difficult. Be clear on what you want from the placements and stay true to yourself. Don't let all the talk about pay packages influence your decision. 
  • Relax a day before the D-Day - Watch movies you like, listen to songs or go and read up newspapers in the library. But don't hold a book in your hand the day before!!
  • Know the firm well - Make a list of firms you want to apply and start surfing about them on the net. Know well about the firm before making the most important decision of your life. 
  • Know yourself - "God has made each one of us as a first class individual, don't end up as a second class copy of someone else" - Anand Pillai (Chief Learning Officer @ one of India's largest conglomerate). Learn to differentiate yourself from the crowd 
  • Don't take calls on the D-Day - Switch off your 'dear' cell phone and give it some rest as well!!
  • Group Discussions - Be yourself in a group discussion. Being aggressive and vocal, just for the heck of it never helps!!
  • Smile when you greet the Recruiter - Remember, the recruiter is as tensed as you are. It is just that he knows how to camouflage his expressions better than you
  • Don't be harsh on yourself - A missed opportunity might be a door to something better!!
  • Rejoice and celebrate the day when you achieve what you set out to do in the first place
  • And finally - Do help out your fellow batch-mates in getting placed. Believe me, the thrill and joy you experience when you actually see your friends getting placed can't be described in simple words. You just have to experience it!!
February is a crucial month for all WIMWIANs. But we often tend to make it more difficult for ourselves. Moreover, the kind of expectations your parents, friends, relatives and the people around you have; it becomes that much more difficult. The key is to switch off the thought process on the D-Day and take every moment as it comes. 

I know all this is easier said than done. But well, the blogger has also experienced what you are going to. To summarize, follow this mantra - 'Be yourself before the recruiter'. You start acting extra smart and things will definitely not go your way. Eventually, it is the time you spend with the recruiter that will matter the most - Nothing else!! Wishing all the fachchas the very best :)

Signing off,
A proud WIMWI alumni :)

No comments: