Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Is a TERRORIST = HUMAN??


hii folks,
I was in my room studying when my neighbour switched on the Television and raised the volume pitch high. I was annoyed, waited for him to realise that Fachchas are mugging up for the exams but in vain. I rushed outside with an intention to request him to lower the volume, but to my utter shock I saw the word "Bomb" on the screen and immediately realised that yet another terror strike has happened in a city where I spent the most important years of my childhood. Anyways, the dreaded feeling sunk in immediately, not because I was safe but because we are now habituated to hearing such "Breaking news"!!
Three days later, after the exams were over I went to the Himalaya Mall, a popular hangout place for "WIMWIANS" with my friends. I saw the watchman recklessly signalling me to enter through the Metal Detector. As expected it signalled me to stop as I was carrying some metal with me. But, the watchman was busy chatting with his pal and didn't bother to check me out. Now this is the state of affairs at a mall which is a highly vulnerable spot for a terror strike. It is our attitude that allows the perpetrators to strike at will. I was laughing at myself because I was about to watch MNIK which talks at great length about terrorism, and here I was in a mall where there's no security, waiting to be blown to smithereens.
Inside the hall, I vowed not to allow Karan Johar activate my Lachrymal glands. But soon couldn't help but shed a drop of tear. That's KJo for you. MNIK might appear to be a movie that glorifies the protagonist, but I see it as a creative expression of how Terrorism influences relationships and religion, captured in a subtle yet powerful manner on screen. As the movie came to an end, I saw a section of an audience clapping and wondered whether we Indians have forgotten how to appreciate, more so because none of us were. I agree some might have not liked the movie, but at least efforts made to highlight the theme can definitely be appreciated.
As I came out of the hall, my mind was clustered with various thoughts. Will we able to walk safely on the streets for a mile or two, five years from now? Would there be a place for "Trust" in the dictionary? Will India be as peaceful as Norway is? Will my city be filled with "Bad People" with a "no right to exist" for "Good People"? As simple as it may sound, but it takes a movie like MNIK to remind us that only two kinds of people exist in this world; "GOOD people" and "GOOD people who become BAD".
"We are born GOOD, we create circumstances that make us BAD"

regards,
taureansandy

No comments: